This Saturday, register for the rescheduled "Help the Homeless Walk" in Cheverly on September 29, sponsored by the American Legion and learn about other about upcoming events!
Homelessness affects all of us. Cheverly American Legion Post 108 will host a Fannie Mae "Help The Homeless Event"on Saturday, September 29th, beginning at 11:00am at Legion Park. They're asking every family, congregation and organization to join in this community effort to end homelessness.
By walking, each person offers a Warm Night to someone in need.
- Every day, over 12,000 men, women and children are homeless in our Metro DC communities.
- This winter the Warm Nights hypothermia shelter program provided over 5,200 bed-nights of shelter from November to April and was often overfilled.
- Community Crisis Services, Inc. (CCSI), which handles homeless intakes in our county, received over 40,000 calls seeking homeless services.
- More than 2,700 of our Prince George's County Public School children experienced homelessness each year.
- Over 136,000 veterans experienced homelessness in 2009 - 11,300 of who were 18 to 30 and served in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- There is a good chance that someone we work with, worship with, or go to school with, is homeless or in imminent danger of homelessness.
Please register at Cheverly Community Market this Saturday, then gather at Legion Park on Saturday, September 29, at 11:00 am and walk to Legion Hall, where there'll be cotton candy, refreshments, and child and adult education on homelessness.
You need not pay to walk, but you must fill out the registration form and it would be wonderful if you could give as an individual or family - every dollar counts!
Each adult and child who signs up will get a t-shirt.
If you cannot join, you can sponsor someone to walk - as many school children walk, but cannot afford to give. All funds raised go to a local nonprofit, Community Crisis Services, Inc., (CCSI), to help ensure a Warm Night for All and avert homelessness where possible.
Upcoming Legion Community Events:
September 28, Community Night - Cheverly families, friends and community organizations -- to informally gather for "Community Nights" at the American Legion, 6:30pm until 9:30pm, for what will become a monthly event. Community members can also register for the Help the Homeless Walk on September 29.
September 29, Help the Homeless Walk - Cheverly American Legion Post 108 will host a Fannie Mae "Help The Homeless Event", rescheduled for Saturday, September 29th, beginning at 11:00am at Legion Park. We ask every family, congregation and organization to join us in a community effort to end homelessness.
October 27, CRAB FEAST - Please join the community at the Cheverly American Legion for a night of community and fun for a Crab Feast on Saturday October 27 (4:00 - 7:00 PM). We also ask that the community to invite neighbors and friends to join us for this special evening. As crabs are costly and planning is necessary, we will limit the number of tickets; so please buy your tickets early. Advanced adult tickets are $30.00, those under 12 are half price (sold only at the door), and those under 6 years-old are free. Tickets at the door are $35.00.