Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This Week at the Market: Benny's Fruit Stand/Rebert Farm

My grandpa was a Norwegian descended of generations of migrant farmers -- in fact, the family is very hard to trace, as it took its' last name from whatever farm it was currently working on. Grandpa Oscar always kept a big, beautiful garden in his backyard in Manly, Iowa. It was his pride and joy, and he probably spent more time with his fruits and vegetables than he did with my grandmother (and they were probably more sympathetic!) Grandpa would tend his crops and flirt with the neighborhood ladies, and my mom adored him. Now, some say that people are like their pets, but I believe that, for gardeners, they are more like the produce they care for. My grandpa was rhubarb: seemingly difficult to deal with, a little bit bitter, but ultimately sweet, charming and old-fashioned. And I love rhubarb to this day because it makes me think of my mom, my grandpa, and plentiful Iowa gardens in the summertime. Are you also a rhubarb fan? Find some great recipes -- both traditional and modern -- over on one of our favorite food blog aggregator sites, Tasteologie.

This week, the gentlemen of Benny's Fruit Stand/Rebert Farm will have beautiful rhubarb for all of your favorite recipes (and hopefully some new picks, too!) as well as strawberries, asparagus, and spring onions. Pick up some delectable seasonal produce and get back to your favorite food memories this Saturday at Cheverly Community Market!


No comments: